Randwick and Distrct Historical Society has an unique collection of historical material related to the City of Randwick built up over 50 years by dedicated groups of volunteers. It covers the suburbs of Randwick, Clovelly, Coogee, Kensington, Kingsford, Maroubra, Malabar, Matraville, and La Perouse.
The Society's rooms have modern research facilities available for people researching Randwick's people and places. Volunteers are available to assist visitors with their enquiries.
The Society is Open:
Tuesdays: 1.30pm to 4.00pm
Thursdays: 10.30am to 4.00pm
Saturdays: 10.30am to 4.00pm
Level 2, Bowen Library, 669 Anzac Parade, Maroubra NSW 2035 (Lift access only to Level 2)
Research can be undertaken at $A20 per hour plus cost of certificates, photocopies and return airmail postage. Please send your research request and initial payment of $A20.00 plus SAE. Please include return mail address.
Saturday History Talks:
On the third Saturday afternoon of each month in February and from April to November at 2pm, a guest who gives a talk on an interesting historical subject. Everyone is welcome. A gold coin donation for afternoon tea.
The talks are held in the Auditorium on either Level one, two or, Bowen Library Building, 669 Anzac Pde Maroubra 2035. (Signs on the day will direct you to the correct level). Lift access is available.
2013 Lecture Series
New Constitution for Society - Download a copy of the Society's new Constitution here.
- A local milestone: Coogee’s Pier 1928-1934 Saturday - 20 April - Pauline Curby as part of the National Heritage Celebrations
- The wreck of the MV Malabar: images from the National Maritime Museum Collection - Saturday 18 May - Dr Stephen Gapps
- Air Disaster Canberra - Saturday 15 June - Andrew Tink
- A Social History of Randwick Public School - Saturday 20 July - Robert King
- The Bowen Family - Saturday 17 August - Tony Bowen
- Art Deco Architecture of Randwick & Coogee (to coincide with an exhibition of his photographs celebrating History Week Theme Picture This) - Saturday 14 September - Alan Lloyd
- Snakemen and Other Tales - Saturday 19th October 2013 - John Cann
- The Coogee Mardi Gras & Ferris Wheel Disaster - Saturday 16 November - Christine Yeats